Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11: Never Forget

A co-worker walked into my office and said, "A plane just crashed into one of the world trade center towers."  I stood from my desk and hurried down to our break room, where several employees were already gathered to watch the news.  For the next several minutes, people trickled in and out, but I stayed the entire time - long enough to catch the breaking news of another plane crashing into Tower 2.

When the next plane hit the Pentagon, news spread quickly of buildings being evacuated all over the area.  Buildings considered the highest likely targets of another attack.  I was glued to that break room TV all morning, shocked with disbelief.  My concerns turned to the safety of friends and former co-workers near the Pentagon.  While in college, I interned for the Department of Defense, working in the HQ building just across from the Pentagon.  Every once in a while, another intern and I would walk there for breakfast.  He was still interning on that day.  I called and finally got through to him.  He was on the interstate and saw the shadow of the plane before it crashed into the Pentagon.  Friends called and emailed me, checking to see that I was okay.  The whole morning was surreal.

Today, I remember and honor those that lost their lives on this day 10 years ago.  And I am thankful for our service men and women who fight for our freedom every day.  Let's never forget the patriotism we embraced after those harrowing events, when we all felt what it means to be an American.

A photo of the rebuilding at the Pentagon taken by my father...


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me some blog love!